Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How NOT To Buy New Furniture

I have been searching for new living room furniture for at least 2 years.
My living room is a tropical blue color, and finding furniture to go with it- is a challenge for sure.
Sure I could have re-painted my living room, but that did NOT sound like fun...and I LOVE the color of my living room!

So one day on craigslist I came across a sofa that I thought would work.
A sofa with golds and creams, made by Rowe which makes custom made sofas starting at $1500....so at the cragslist price of $300- it was a steal!
We picked it up the following day, brought it home....and wouldn't you know- it wouldnt fit through the door!
We tried the back door, the side door, the front door...and it just wasn't happening.
We removed the legs, wiggled and jiggled...but it wouldnt budge!
In the excitement of buying the new ( to me ) sofa, I forgot to measure!

My husband had an idea, what if we removed the large picture window in the living room?
Remove a window? Oh my gosh, that sounds like a lot of work...but the alternative was trying to sell the sofa I just bought....and continue my search for a sofa that would fit!

Luckily we have a friend who is a carpenter- Shane Nelligan of American Made Carpentry, and he came over right away and helped my hubby remove the window.
It was actually pretty painless, for me anyway:)
And the new sofa now sits in my living room....a much needed improvement from the original matching sofa and loveseat combo that I hated!



Lesson Learned : MEASURE before buying any furniture, especially if you are buying it from somewhere where it cant be returned!


The end result made it all worth it!
Had to change out the curtains, and luckily I had just purchased this set of 
full size flat sheets that worked perfectly...just slide the curtain rod in the existing pocket!

Metal Bamboo Side Table - Columbus Flea Market - $20


 This tray was a steal at $8, Im not sure if it is silver or just plated - but I love it anyway!
This coffee table is on my project list...not sure what I want to do with it, but it keeps flaking away- so I have to think of something!

Tomorrow my post will be about a great craft project, an advent calendar!

2 comments:

  1. Not measuring... such a me thing to do!! sometimes I will measure before heading out to flea markets and thrift stores, but I inevitably leave the measurements at home or in the car or just forget I have them with me at all. Right now I'm looking for a table, a desk and a table/desk. Measured my space, wrote it down and I bet you that when i leave tomorrow for atlanta, those measurements will be sitting somewhere in rock hill :)
    love love love your etsy shop- can't wait to buy!! New follower, too. Congrats on your pregnancy!! Nesting is so much fun- especially when you have an excuse like a baby on the way!
    All the best....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for checking out my blog:) Glad to know at least one person is reading! And thank you for the compliments on my Etsy shop, this pregnancy has slowed me down a bit but Im hoping to list a lot more in the next few weeks to get ready for Christmas. Let me know if you found anything you were looking for at the flea market!

    ReplyDelete